Under the supervision of the Distribution Foreperson or higher grade Distribution Service Worker performs a variety of routine, manual tasks related to the general maintenance of water and sewer facilities, buildings and grounds which are under the operational control of the Department of Public Works.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following functions. These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
1. Performs a variety of routine type work consisting of unskilled and manual tasks and/or general work related to water, sewer or public works operations.
2. Assists higher graded personnel with inspecting, cleaning, maintaining, constructing and repairing of the water distribution system and other water and related systems utilizing a variety of equipment, including commercial vehicles.
3. Assists higher graded personnel with the performance of daily service and routine maintenance, which may include, but not be limited to:
4. Assists higher graded personnel with customer service work and customer calls.
5. Performs basic buildings and grounds maintenance, which includes painting, cleaning and landscape maintenance. This type of work includes cutting lawn and brush areas, raking leaves, shoveling gravel and dirt, mixing and pouring cement, snow and ice removal, etc.
6. Performs a variety of manual tasks including the lifting and carrying of heavy loads.
7. Inspects vehicles to ensure they are in proper operating condition for daily use.
8. Ensures tools and equipment are in proper operating condition for daily use and arranges for maintenance when required.
9. Maintains accurate, legible and timely records of maintenance performed using manual and computerized spreadsheets and databases.
10. Must be available after regular working hours for emergency call outs.
11. May be required to be on Department scheduled “Stand-By” for after hours emergencies.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must be a high school graduate or equivalent or possess equivalent experience.
2. Must obtain an S-4 Michigan Department of Environmental Quality License within one (1) year of appointment to the Grade IV position.
3. Must possess a valid Michigan’s Drivers License at the time of employment and be able to meet the Township’s driving standards and ability to obtain a Michigan (A)CDL with air brake endorsement within six (6) months of appointment to the Grade IV position.
4. Ability to learn operations, services and activities of a water distribution system and maintenance program.
5. Knowledge of basic computer operations, including operating systems and varying software applications. Skills test required.
6. Ability to learn the operation and characteristics of maintenance equipment and tools.
7. Ability to learn standard safety practices.
8. Ability to learn applicable codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
9. Skill and knowledge necessary to establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
10. Ability to communicate accurately, clearly and concisely in writing, orally and electronically, in the English language. Skills test required.
11. Ability to read and interpret basic technical information including maps and engineering and technical drawings.
12. Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations. Skills test required.
13. Able to follow established work routines and schedules given under the guidance and/or direction of higher level personnel.
14. Ability to perform maintenance and repair of the water distribution system and other duties.
15. Skill with regard to possessing a mechanical aptitude.
16. Ability to operate a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and manual tasks.
17. Ability to operate a variety of equipment including vehicles and system maintenance equipment in a safe and effective manner, which includes operating hand and power tools.
18. Ability to learn more difficult distribution system construction, maintenance and repair techniques.
19. Must be able to pass a physical agility test given by a third party administrator