Water Plant Operator
THE CITY OF BRIDGMAN IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Water Plant Operator
Role Summary: To operate, maintain, inspect, install and repair water treatment and wastewater collection and associated water distribution equipment, systems and components. An employee in this position performs a variety of semi-skilled, skilled and professional work in the operation of a variety of equipment in the water treatment, construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of City water, wastewater, street, and storm drainage facilities and systems.
Duties Include but not Limited to:
- Inspects and/or repairs water mains, lines and hydrants, drainage and wastewater systems at frequent intervals to ensure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
- Determines the locations of gas, telephone, power, television, and water/sewer lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation. Reads meters and conducts snow removal and ice control when directed by a supervisor or on duty.
- Responds to complaints regarding water leaks, pressure loss or no water; sanitary sewer problems, evaluates situation; explains findings to supervisor.
- Contacts residents and business owners in area where services will be discontinued and explains when services will be shut off and how soon it will be turned back on.
- A plant operator shall be in the standard rotation for weekend and off-hour work and shall perform routine, daily maintenance to the water and sewer system during this duty. A plant operator shall also be accessible for off-hours calls for water system duty and must respond to calls for service contacted. It is expected that the plant operator shall report to work promptly during off hours when requested to do so by an immediate supervisor or other worker having off-hours duty.
- Performs routine repairs, inspection and preventive maintenance and cleans assigned equipment. Ensures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use. Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, manhole and line cleaning, main and pipe repair, laying and back filling.
- Operates/drives City equipment and/or vehicles of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel and sand; operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in the water department.
- Cuts, fits, lays, repairs, taps, cleans and flushes water mains, pipe, gates and fittings on repair of mains and services and installation of services, fire hydrants and drinking fountains; assists in shutting off broken sections of water mains.
· High school diploma or GED equivalent
· Valid state driver’s license; CDL class B is desirable;
· State Licensed as F-4 in water treatment and S-4 distribution;
· Three (3) or more years of progressively responsible experience in water distribution and sewer collection, preferably in a municipal setting.
· Thorough knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in water treatment, maintenance, construction, operation and distribution systems.
· Thorough knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in wastewater collection, maintenance, construction, operation and system repair.
Job Location: Various properties, roadways and road right-of-ways within the City of Bridgman.
Benefits: A full benefit package includes competitive wages $20.00-$24.00/hr DOQ, MERS defined benefit pension, health, dental, and vision insurance coverage, paid time off, holidays, voluntary deferred compensation (457), and disability insurance provided.
Submit application and resume to the City of Bridgman, 9765 Maple Street or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 14, 2020.
The City of Bridgman is an Equal Opportunity Employer